Commencing: Thursday 22 December 2022, 11.00 am
Venue: Council Chambers, Regional House, 1 Elizabeth Street, Tauranga
Deputy Chairperson: Cr Jane Nees – Acting Chair
Members: Cr Malcolm Campbell
Cr Stuart Crosby
Cr Kat Macmillan
Cr Matemoana McDonald
Cr Ron Scott
Cr Ken Shirley
Cr Paula Thompson
Cr Lyall Thurston
Cr Te Taru White – via Zoom
Cr Kevin Winters – via Zoom
In Attendance: Chris Ingle – General Manager Integrated Catchments (Acting Chief Executive), Mat Taylor – General Manager Corporate; Kumaren Perumal – Chief Financial Officer; Nolene Naude – Financial Accounting Team Lead; Tone Nerdrum Smith – Committee Advisor
Leon Pieterse – Audit Director, Audit NZ
1. Opening Karakia
A karakia was provided by Cr Lyall Thurston.
That the Regional Council:
1 Accepts the apologies for absence from Chairman Doug Leeder, Cr Andrew von Dadelszen and Cr Toi Iti, and for lateness for Cr Te Taru White tendered at the meeting.
3. Declaration of Conflicts of Interest
There were no declarations of interests.
Adoption of the Annual Report and Annual Report Summary for the year ended 30 June 2022
Kumaren Perumal – Chief Financial Officer provided an outline of the Annual Report 2021/22.
· Any variations compared to the Annual Plan 2021/22 was explained in the agenda report.
11.04 am – Cr White entered the meeting (via Zoom).
Leon Pieterse – Audit Director, Audit NZ presented the audit opinion on the Annual Report 2021/22 as follows:
· Audit NZ had provided an unqualified opinion relating to the audit of the Annual Report and Annual Report Summary 2021/22
· The audit process had been undertaken smoothly and efficiently, largely due to the effort and ability of Regional Council staff
· Acknowledged the challenges facing Audit NZ in undertaking audits within the legislative timeframes due to ongoing resourcing shortage
· The ‘Summary of the annual report’ (page 81 of the agenda) statement with regards to disclosure was a standard phrase and should not be seen as a cause for concern.
Staff in Response to Questions:
· There had been no changes since the year ending 30 June 2022 that would alter or impact on the Annual Report
· The ability of Council to deliver its Annual Plan 2022/23 would be regularly assessed, in particular the Capex programme, and progress would be regularly reported to Councillors
· The wet winter conditions had resulted in excessive use of stormwater pumps, which meant an increase in overall cost
· Temporary/emergency pumping in response to a weather event did not require a resource consent. However, if longer lasting weather conditions meant the use of the pumps became a regular occurrence, a resource consent may be more appropriate. This was currently being investigated.
· Recognised that the ambitious swimability target had not been met in 2021/22, however this also represented a challenge and opportunity for Council to further explore and address.
That the Regional Council:
1 Receives the report, Adoption of the Annual Report and Annual Report Summary for the year ended 30 June 2022.
2 Receives the audit report and audit opinion from Audit New Zealand.
3 Adopts the Bay of Plenty Regional Council Annual Report and Consolidated Financial Statements for the year ended 30 June 2022.
4 Adopts the Bay of Plenty Regional Council Annual Report Summary for the year ended 30 June 2022.
5 Authorise the Chief Executive to make minor numerical, editorial or presentation amendments prior to the final publication.
6 Approves the capital expenditure budget carry forward of $6.4 million from 2021/22 to 2022/23.
7 Notes total remissions of $0.4 million were given during 2021/22 which equates to 0.7% of the general and targeted rate revenue.
A karakia was provided by Cr Te Taru White.
11.19 am – the meeting closed.
Acting Chairperson, Regional Council