Rangitāiki River Forum

Ngā Meneti

Open Minutes

Commencing:             Friday 4 December 2020, 10.30 am

Venue:                         Rangitāiki Cosmopolitan Club, 9 Bridge Street, Edgecumbe


Chairperson:               Maramena Vercoe – Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Manawa

Ngā Kopounga

Members:                    Bay of Plenty Regional Council: Cr Bill Clark, Cr Toi Kai Rākau Iti, Cr Stacey Rose, Cr Kevin Winters

Hineuru Iwi Trust: Ivy Kahukiwa Smith

Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whare: Jose Miki (Alternate)

Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa: Tuwhakairiora O'Brien (Alternate)

Te Kotahitanga o Tūwharetoa: Whakaeke Ritete

Whakatane District Council: Cr Alison Silcock, Cr Wilson James (Alternate)

Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Manawa: Karito Paul (Alternate)

Te Hunga i Tae Ake

In Attendance:            Bay of Plenty Regional Council: Chris Ingle – General Manager Integrated Catchments, Yvonne Tatton – Governance Manager, Micah Butt – Senior Māori Resource Management Advisor, Charles Harley – Team Leader Eastern Catchments, Mieke Kapa – Land Management Officer (Eastern), Kataraina O’Brien – Kaiwhakahaere Kotahitanga, Shari Kameta – Committee Advisor

                                    Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Manawa: Maxeen Newton – Pou Taiao Whakatāne District Council: Teryll Leper

Ngā Hōnea

Apologies:                  Te Waiti Rangiwai (Deputy Chair) - Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whare

                                                      Miro Araroa - Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa

Ngapera Rangiaho – Tūhoe Te Uru Taumatua

Clifford Te Riini, Paora Hunia (Alternate) – Ngāti Tūwharetoa (Bay of Plenty) Settlement Trust

Cr Kylie Leonard – Taupō District Council


1.     Karakia Whakatuwhera
Opening Karakia

A karakia was provided by Tuwhakairiora O’Brien.

2.     Ngā Hōnea


That the Rangitāiki River Forum:

1          Accepts the apologies from: Te Waiti Rangiwai, Ngapera Rangiaho, Miro Araroa, Cr Kylie Leonard, Clifford Te Riini and Paora Hunia tendered at the meeting.



3.     Ngā Take Tōmuri
Items not on the Agenda


Rangitāiki River Forum COVID-19 Response



That the Rangitāiki River Forum:

1          Receives the report, Rangitāiki River Forum COVID-19 Response and accepts it as an Item not on the Agenda. Notes the reason why this item was not on the Agenda is that the information was not available at the time the agenda was published, and the reason why it cannot be delayed is that it is relevant to the current COVID-19 pandemic environment and needs consideration by the Forum.

Winters/Kahukiwa Smith


4.     Raupapa o Ngā Take
Order of Business

The Chair advised of the following changes to the order of business:

1.    Agenda Item 10.3, ‘Southern Generation Limited Partnership Verbal Update’ would be received earlier in the agenda to accommodate the early departure of the presenter.

2.    Agenda Item 10.1, ‘Forum Members Verbal Update’ would be the last verbal update item discussed.

5.     Whakapuakanga o Ngā Take Whai Taha-Rua
Declaration of Conflicts of Interest

No conflicts of interest were declared.

6.     Ngā Meneti

Kia Whakaūngia Ngā Meneti
Minutes to be Confirmed


Rangitāiki River Forum Minutes - 4 September 2020

Matters Arising

1.    Minute 7.1, Forum Members Verbal Updates (agenda page 13) – it was noted that an amendment was made to the first bullet point of Cr Bill Clark’s verbal update after the draft minutes were circulated in September.

2.    Minute Item 12, Deferred Items (agenda page 19) – The Glass Eel Study update would be deferred to the next meeting in March 2021, as the presenters were unable to attend this meeting.



That the Rangitāiki River Forum:

1          Confirms the Rangitāiki River Forum Minutes - 4 September 2020 as a true and correct record.



7.     Ngā Pūrongo

Ngā Whakatau e Hiahiatia Ana
Decisions Required


Adoption of Revised Terms of Reference and Standing Orders and 2021 Dates

Presented by: Yvonne Tatton, Governance Manager

Key Points:

·       Clarified key changes proposed to the Forum’s Terms of Reference and Standing Orders arising from feedback from members at a workshop held in October 2020.

·       Standing order 4.3 Language would enable translation services to be arranged for more formal addresses, as opposed to general meeting discussion where an informal summary could be offered by members.

·       Including a webcasting (livestreaming) provision would provide the option of livestreaming meetings in the future, if the Forum wished to do so.

·       Livestreamed recordings of meetings would become a public record.

Key Points - Members:

·       Standing Order 4.3 Language provisions would provide non-fluent
te reo Māori speaking members the opportunity to consider and make decisions on matters raised and made provision for te reo Māori as an official language of Aotearoa-New Zealand. Comments raised encouraged all to learn and gain further understanding of te reo Māori.

·       Accepted the proposed Standing Orders, subject to the following changes:

o   4.4 Webcasting (Livestreaming) – amend to be by agreement of the Forum. It was noted that presently, the Forum did not wish to livestream its meetings, as recordings could be subject to misinterpretation via online platforms.

o   10 Tikanga - include appropriate wording to recognise that the business of the Forum will incorporate tikanga Māori as and where appropriate.

·       In regard to Quorum requirements:

o   Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Manawa Board and Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whare Board had expressed their wish for the status quo (both a Ngāti Manawa and Ngāti Whare appointed member) to be maintained. Reasons for this were to maintain the recognition and mana of their founding Treaty Settlements, and both partners had appointed alternate members to attend in the absence of the appointed member.

o   Members noted respect of the founding Treaty Settlements, time and effort to attend and coordinate meetings, and members’ obligations to ensure representation at meetings.

o   Local Authority members acknowledged this was a matter for iwi members to decide and would abstain from voting on the quorum membership.

·       In relation to 13.5, Absent without leave – members supported retaining the provision to recognise members’ responsibility to attend meetings and tender their apologies.



That the Rangitāiki River Forum:

1          Receives the report, Adoption of Revised Terms of Reference and Standing Orders and 2021 Meeting Dates.

2          Approves the Rangitāiki River Forum’s Terms of Reference as amended under Attachment 1.

3          Authorises the BOPRC Governance Manager, as the administering body, to make any necessary formatting and minor grammatical changes to the Standing Orders document as required.

4          Adopts the Rangitāiki River Forum’s 2021 schedule of meetings as listed below:

·       Friday, 5 March 2021

·       Friday, 4 June 2021

·       Friday, 3 September 2021

·       Friday, 3 December 2021



5          Adopts the Rangitāiki River Forum’s Standing Orders as amended under Attachment 2, subject to the agreed amendments at the meeting and a further amendment in regard to the Quorum for Meetings as follows:

(a)   The Quorum must include a member appointed by Ngāti Whare and a member appointed by Ngāti Manawa.

Vercoe/Kahukiwa Smith


Councillors Kevin Winters, Bill Clark, Stacey Rose, Toi Kai Rākau Iti and Alison Silcock abstained from voting.




Appointment of Chairperson

The Chair vacated the chair and the Forum’s Committee Champion Chris Ingle assumed the chair to facilitate the voting process for appointing a Chairperson.

Key Points:

·       Recommended Voting System B as the simplified voting system.

Key Points - Members:

·       Alternate member Jose Miki, on behalf of Deputy Chair Te Waiti Rangiwai, confirmed that Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whare wished to re-nominate Maramena Vercoe to the Chair, as Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whare were not ready to take on the position of the Chair at this time.



That the Rangitāiki River Forum:

1          Receives the report, Appointment of Chairperson.

2          Selects System B as the voting system to elect the Chairperson.



3          Elects Maramena Vercoe as the Chairperson of the Rangitāiki River Forum effective from the next meeting of the Rangitāiki River Forum.



Hei Pānui Anake
Information Only


Implementation for the National Policy Statement for Freshwater Management

Presented by: Micah Butt, Senior Māori Resource Management Advisor

Key Points - Staff:

·       Subsequent to the report, Council had directed staff at a Council Workshop in November to bring the notification date of a plan change forward from December 2024 (statutory deadline) to July 2024 to ensure the statutory deadline was met.

·       NPSFM process would provide Iwi/hapū the opportunity to identify cultural values.

·       Encouraged Iwi partners to look at the suite of changes under new section 80A Freshwater planning process of the Resource Management Act 1991.

·       Further information would be provided to Iwi/hapū via the engagement process.

Key Points - Members:

·       Acknowledged the range of potential options for Iwi to engage.

·       Noted support for: kaitiaki reference groups for practitioners, involving Iwi/hapū within compliance and monitoring roles and funding the input of kaitiaki practitioners.

·       Encouraged Iwi to submit on the Regional Council’s Long Term Plan budget for NPSFM engagement, which would be out for submission in March 2021.

·       NPSFM was a truncated process that would be important for Iwi/hapū and the Forum to engage and be involved in the process.

·       NPSFM implementation had no recourse via the Environment Court and would be decided by the Government appointed Freshwater Hearing Commissioner, which was a significant change.

·       Supported the opportunity to meet with other co-governance committees to gain an understanding of wider views, collective aspirations and goals.

·       Ngāti Rangitihi would be signing their Deed of Settlement and should be included in discussions.

·       Sought further understanding of the process to enable the Forum members to provide leadership and a framework that could assist Iwi/hapū/whānau in the process.


Items for Staff Follow Up:

·       Liaise with the Forum Chair to arrange a meeting with the co-governance committees.

·       Provide a simplified NPSFM brief to facilitate a workshop with hapū/kaitiaki environmental representatives and practitioners within the Rangitāiki River catchment.



That the Rangitāiki River Forum:

1          Receives the report, Implementation for the National Policy Statement for Freshwater Management.

2          Provides guidance on preferences for involvement in the engagement approaches outlined in Te Hononga.





Rangitaiki Integrated Catchment Programme: Annual Work Plan 2020/2021

Charles Harley, Team Leader Eastern Catchments noted that the report had been deferred from the previous meeting, but had been discussed during the 4 September Forum Workshop.

Key Points - Members:

·       Hearing Panel Recommendations following the Flood Protection and Drainage Bylaw 2020 Hearing had been completed and were to be reported for adoption to the Regional Council Meeting on 17 December 2020.



That the Rangitāiki River Forum:

1          Receives the report, Rangitaiki Integrated Catchment Programme: Annual Work Plan 2020/2021.





Rangitaiki Integrated Catchment Programme: Annual Report 2019-2020



That the Rangitāiki River Forum:

1          Receives the report, Rangitaiki Integrated Catchment Programme: Annual Report 2019-2020.





Rangitaiki Integrated Catchment Programme: July - October Dashboard Report



That the Rangitāiki River Forum:

1          Receives the report, Rangitaiki Integrated Catchment Programme: July - October Dashboard Report.



Change to Order of Business

Agenda item 10.3, Southern Generation Limited Partnership Verbal Update was received next to accommodate the early departure of the presenter.


Southern Generation Limited Partnership Verbal Update

Presented by: Craig Rowe, Area Regional Manager, Southern Generation Limited Partnership


Key Points:

·       Peter Mulvihill, General Manager Project Development and Delivery was unable to attend the meeting and would be retiring in two weeks’ time.

·       Annual sediment survey of Lake Aniwaniwa was being completed as a requirement of the Aniwhenua Dam consent. The survey file note would be filed with Bay of Plenty Regional Council (BOPRC) and could be made available upon request.

·       Phase One of the Lake Aniwaniwa Walkway Project was progressing well with landowner engagement and preliminary work in progress for consent.

·       Lake weed spraying in front of the reserve would be completed and lake lowering scheduled in April 2021.

·       Options for expanding the spray programme would be discussed with BOPRC in the following week.

·       Resource consent for removal of sediment in Paparoa Stream was due to expire at the end of 2020. SGPL were consulting with key iwi and Tonkin & Taylor had been engaged to undertake the consent process.

·       Regarding the removal of sediment downstream of Kopuriki Bridge and options to prevent upstream flooding – work would be undertaken in March 2021 and expertise sought from BOPRC for a river management consent.

·       Expressions of interest for contract tender had been advertised in October, however no tenders had been received, which could potentially be a result of access challenges. SGPL would be pursuing contractor engagement further.

·       SGPL were continuing to work with Ngāti Manawa staff on the downstream trap and transfer programme.

·      SGPL were continuing to financially support the upstream elver programme that was run from the Matahina Power Station by the Kokopu Trust and Trustpower.

·       An upstream elver pass was being built by Pioneer Energy staff for install to the Aniwhenua Barrage and was expected to be commissioned by year end.

Key Points - Members:

·       Pleased with the progress being made towards sediment removal at Kopuriki Bridge and the upstream elver pass.

·       On behalf of the Forum, the Chair requested that thanks and recognition be conveyed to Peter Mulvihill for his work and contribution.

8.     Whakaaturanga


Rangitaiki River Reconnection Project Update

Presentation - Rangitaiki River Reconnection Project: Objective ID A3694702  

Presented by: Mieke Kapa, Land Management Officer (Eastern)

Key Points:

·       Project vision was to reconnect and restore a fresh water flow and ecological and cultural pathways between the Rangitāiki and Tarawera rivers from Okorero to Te Awa o te Atua near Matatā.

·       Overview of the historical landscape of the lower Rangitāiki River prior to drainage and current landscape.

·       Project benefits would improve mauri/cultural values, water quality, terrestrial and aquatic flora and fauna.

·       Progress included: approval of business case and early investigation stage,  initial conversations held with landowners, channel survey completed, and commencement of design model and legal advice on landowner status.

·       Viability of the project would depend on legal and consent related matters, hydrological issues and funding.

·       Next steps would be to: meet with iwi/hapū/landowners/key stakeholders, followed by modelling, source funding and further engagement with the Forum.

Key Points - Members:

·       Supported the project and the considerable benefits it would provide, and working with tangata whenua.



That the Rangitāiki River Forum:

1          Receives the presentation, Rangitaiki River Reconnection Project Update.




9.     Whakahoutanga Kōrero
Verbal Updates


Trustpower Limited Verbal Update

Presented by: Ryan Piddington, Environmental and Regulatory Services Manager, Trustpower Limited


Key Points:

·       Environmental Manager Chris Fern had resigned recently from Trustpower.

·       Preliminary science and initial engagement had commenced with Ngāti Manawa and Ngāti Whare on the 2026 consent renewal process work programme. Senior Environmental Advisor Lisa Mead would be leading the programme.

·       Sought consideration of how the Forum wished to engage with Trustpower on the consent renewal process.

·       Trustpower were working with the Kerrison whānau to support the Kokopu Trust’s continuation of the trap and transfer programme.

·       Progress on the fish transfer trial system had been delayed and impacted by staff changes and COVID-19. However, Trustpower were still committed to the project with a key focus to revisit the schedule for staged testing and implementation in the New Year.

·       Environmental data and erosion monitoring had been submitted to the Regional Council in November 2019.

In Response to Questions:

·       Confirmed that Trustpower had the appropriate flood emergency management and monitoring plan in place for the Matahina Dam.

·       Discussions were taking place with Southern Generation on downstream tuna migration for the upcoming season. 

Key Points - Members:

·       Emphasized the importance the Forum and Iwi partners placed on the continuance and implementation of the fish passage trial system.



Climate Change Adaptation Regional Workshop 19 October and Forum Forward Planning Discussion

Presented by: Chris Ingle, General Manager Integrated Catchments


Key Points:

·       The Workshop was held primarily for the region’s local authorities to share perspectives and seek a consistent approach on climate change.

·       A presentation had been provided by Nicki Douglas on Te Arawa’s climate change action plan.

·       Climate change adaptation would start to become a significant part of the Regional Council’s work into the future.

·       Opportunity was open for Iwi partners to talk to the Regional Council and be involved where interested.

·       Discussion on forward planning for the Forum would be deferred to a future time.

Key Points - Members:

·       The climate change workshop had been insightful and attended by four of the seven councils, including representatives from Ngāti Awa.

·       Further workshops would be held with local authorities.

·       The initial workshop had provided councils with a line of sight in regard to risk assessment and climate change plans.

·       Looked forward to further discussion at the governance level.



Forum Members Verbal Update[1]


Cr Kevin Winters – Bay of Plenty Regional Council

·       Council had held several workshops on its Long Term Plan (LTP), reviewed its financial strategy and priorities, therefore was confident that the LTP was robust

·       Would be seeking more funding for the environment, volunteer sector, pest control and biodiversity across the region.


Jose Miki – Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whare

·       No update to report.


Ivy Kahukiwa Smith – Hineuru Iwi Trust

·       Hineuru iwi and hapū groups were discussing waterways in the Mohaka catchment with Hawke’s Bay Regional Council, which had highlighted the cultural and spiritual values and the importance of Te Mana o te Wai.

·       Re-establishment of tītī on Titiokura maunga had occurred following the gifting and translocation of the manu from Little and Great Barrier islands. Department of Conservation had recently monitored the site returning positive results.


Cr Toi Kai Rākau Iti – Bay of Plenty Regional Council

·       Encouraged and looked forward to receiving considered submissions from Iwi and hapū on the Council’s Long Term Plan.


Cr Stacey Rose – Bay of Plenty Regional Council

·       Climate Change Adaptation Regional Workshop on 19 October had provided an insight into the impacts of climate change on the environment and sea level rise.

·       Emphasized the importance of iwi/hapū/whānau submitting to Council’s Long Term Plan.


Tu O’Brien – Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa

·       Regarding the proposed whitebait regulations:

§  Department of Conservation had compiled a good report on submissions with decisions to be released in 2021.

§  Ngāti Awa hapū representatives had made submissions and raised concerns in regard to the consultation process and blanket regulations to prohibit upstream pegging and whitebaiting at river mouths.  

§  Considered that the Department of Conservation (DOC) should be tailoring the regulations to suit each region and awa (river).

·       NIWA’s Glass Eel Research Study was still in progress on the Rangitāiki awa.

·       Siobhan Nuri (NIWA Masters student) had presented her Glass Eel findings to the New Zealand Freshwater Sciences Society Conference on 1-4 December 2020.

·       Climate change impacts on tuna heke was a concern for iwi.

·       Recommended that the Regional Council introduce new sub-contractors to local whanau before they carry out work along the river to prevent any issues arising.

·       Ngāti Awa had undertaken a tītī harvest on Moutohorā Island recently as maintaining cultural traditions and skills was a key imperative.

·       Ngāti Awa were liaising with Fonterra on their stormwater consent application.


Cr Wilson James – Whakatāne District Council

·       Whakatane District Council’s Long Term Plan process would be commencing next year.


Cr Alison Silcock – Whakatāne District Council

·       Galatea community group would be appointing trustees for the Lake Aniwaniwa Walkway Project.

·       Highlighted lake weed as an ongoing safety issue at Lake Aniwaniwa and the need for a longer term solution.


Whakaeke Ritete – Te Kotahitanga o Ngāti Tūwharetoa

·       Primary focus for TKNT was on its people and Lake Taupō and its 62 tributaries.

·       TKNT were investing in a retirement home and potential nursery investment that would provide employment and sustainable environmental benefits for local iwi/hapū.


Cr Bill Clark – Bay of Plenty Regional Council

·       Sought Whakatane District Council’s consideration to provide and improve public amenities on both sides of the Thornton river mouth.

·       Would like to see a survey on people that frequent the river mouth to support a future proposal.


Karito Paul (Alternate) – Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Manawa

·       A lot of mahi and activity was occurring along the river and catchment, i.e. wetland development, pest control, planting, stakeholder engagement.

·       Sedimentation issue was increasing, mainly due to forest harvesting.

·       Acknowledged Trustpower and Pioneer Energy, wider catchment issues.


Maramena Vercoe – Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Manawa

·       No further update to report.


10.   Ngā Take Tōmuri Hei Whakaaroaro
Consideration of Items not on the Agenda


Late Item - Rangitaiki River Forum Covid-19 Response

Tabled Document 1 - Rangitaiki River Forum COVID-19 Response: Objective ID A3685483  


Presented by:  Maramena Vercoe, Forum Chairperson

Key Points:

·       The Forum Chair and Deputy Chair had reviewed Ngāti Whare’s COVID-19 response plan to determine an appropriate response for the Forum.

·       Considered an appropriate focus for the Forum during a COVID-19 response would be to maintain the status of water quality monitoring and access to mahinga kai, as a source of kai for Iwi/hapū and their people.

·       COVID-19 legislative processes were anticipated to draw to a close at the end of December, however considered it appropriate for the Forum to consider this matter.

·       Iwi, hapū and communities were best placed to support their own communities.

Key Points - Members:

·       Comment was noted in support of the COVID-19 response, noting that during COVID-19, Iwi/hapū had gone through a process of taking ownership to provide for their communities and incorporating the management of mahinga kai as an essential service, which had involved discussion with the police and relevant agencies.


That the Rangitāiki River Forum:

1          Notes and receives the report, Rangitāiki River Forum COVID-19 Response and accepts it as an Item not on the Agenda. Notes the reason why this item was not on the Agenda is that the information was not available at the time the agenda was published, and the reason why it cannot be delayed is that it is relevant to the current COVID-19 pandemic environment and needs consideration by the Forum.

Rose/Kahukiwa Smith


11.   Karakia Kati
Closing Karakia

A karakia was provided by Tu O’Brien.

1:47 pm – the meeting closed.



Confirmed 9 April 2021                                                                                                                 

                                                                                                                                 Maramena Vercoe

Chairperson, Rangitāiki River Forum

[1] Refer corrections, Minute Item 7.1, Rangitāiki River Forum Meeting 9 April 2021